Saturday, March 12, 2011

Swollen Tonsils

My daughter had been complaining that something is wrong with her throat. It was hard for her to swallow. Even swallowing liquid gave her pain. We went to see a doctor at UMC that weekend and she was given antibiotics to fight off the infection. We were told to come back on Wednesday to check on her progress. During that weekend up to Wednesday, Pam really had a hard time. The antibiotics did not work. When her father accompanied her for the check up, they were referred to Asian Hospital for possible confinement.

Pam's two tonsils were swollen so much so that she might not be able to breathe anytime since the air passage was already being blocked by the tonsils. The pain is already extending to her left ear and by that time it was already impossible for her to take anything orally.
At Asian, they went straight to the emegency room as advised by the UMC doctor. My husband informed me to go straight to Asian so I left the office a little after lunchtime. I was so nervous. It was the first time that Pam is going to be hospitalized. I am thinking that maybe she would cry when the nurses will stick needles in her arm for the dextrose. I was a bit glad that I wouldn't be there by herside by then as I might cry, too.
They were still in the emergency room when I arrived. The hospital staff hasn't found yet a room for her. It was already past 5pm when we were led to a room at the 5th floor. It was a nice room - superior private. There was a TV, ref, own bathroom, and big space for the sofa bed and a window.
Pam reacted positively with the antibiotics that was put thru her dextrose. We were out of the hospital after 3 days.
It was a scary experience for us but it was a nice feeling that being covered by Maxicare, we would not be troubled with the financial aspect.
At the end of the day, after claiming Philhealth, Maxicare picked up the rest of the bill. When we were about to leave the hospital, somebody gave Pam a rose as it is a practice when a patient checks out.
I am really praying that nobody in our family will be hospitalized, ever. I just hate it there....no matter how nice the room is.
If any, the only good thing that happened to us during Pam's hospitalization is that the 3 of us had a time alone with each other. It made us realize how important we are to each other.

No comments: